Despite a constant stream of freezing temperatures, nasty snow, sleet and ice, and all around crappy weather, the past two weekends have been a lot of fun. Two weeks ago we ventured downtown to a dueling piano bar called Howl at the Moon (one of my favorite bars in town, and where David spent a good part of his bachelor party a few years ago). One of David's fraternity brothers was in town, so the bar was hopping with the usual "Phi Psi + their girls" crowd.
Da boys: (from left to right) Chad, David, Ben, Danny, Steve, Matt, Kirk, Russell

David and I pose for a picture....

before David heads to the dance floor to rock out with da boys.
This past weekend was much more chill. We both had a three-day weekend, and we took full advantage of it. Saturday we watched Butler (on TV) clinch its eighth straight win against UIC. Go Dawgs! The Butler game was followed by more college basketball (while I finished reading The Golden Compass on the couch). Then we watched the 2005 psychological thriller Hard Candy, starring Ellen Page from Juno. A good movie, but a little disturbing.

before David heads to the dance floor to rock out with da boys.

This past weekend was much more chill. We both had a three-day weekend, and we took full advantage of it. Saturday we watched Butler (on TV) clinch its eighth straight win against UIC. Go Dawgs! The Butler game was followed by more college basketball (while I finished reading The Golden Compass on the couch). Then we watched the 2005 psychological thriller Hard Candy, starring Ellen Page from Juno. A good movie, but a little disturbing.
We spent Sunday morning doing a little shopping. We spent our Barnes & Noble gift cards on a couple of books for each of us. We also went to Circuit City to look at digital cameras (our Christmas present from Gigi and Boppa). In case you didn't know, the retail chain is closing its stores, and everything is on clearance now through March 18. Then after a boring trip to Target to pick up a few things, we had lunch at Bub's in Carmel, where David and his coworkers spend many a lunch hour. I've been listening to David talk about Bub's for a year or more, so I was really excited when he took me there for lunch. It's this local burger dive in a yellow house in the arts district of Carmel. This place is famous for its "Big Ugly": a monstrous 1 lb. beef patty.
The Big Ugly in all its meaty horror.

Patrons who eat the whole thing (including the bun) get their picture on the wall. And let me tell you, the inside walls are COVERED in pictures. David says they have to take them down and start over at least once a year. Well, as disgusting as I think it would be to eat a one-pound hamburger, I'm proud to say my hubby made it on the wall. He and a coworker accepted the Big Ugly challenge back in the summer, and we were so surprised to find their picture on the wall right near our table!
..... found it!!

David didn't order the Big Ugly this time around, and neither did I! I opted for the elk burger, which was quite delicious and, according to the menu, low in calories, fat and cholesterol and high in protein! Of course the basket of crispy waffle fries we scarfed down with our burgers completely made up for my low fat burger. Oh well.

David didn't order the Big Ugly this time around, and neither did I! I opted for the elk burger, which was quite delicious and, according to the menu, low in calories, fat and cholesterol and high in protein! Of course the basket of crispy waffle fries we scarfed down with our burgers completely made up for my low fat burger. Oh well.
We made it home just in time to watch the start of the NFL championships. Again, I read on the couch all afternoon and all night while the games were on. I did the same thing all day Monday, too. I finished The Golden Compass (which I very much enjoyed), read all of New Moon (book 2 of the Twilight series), and made it about 1/4 way through book 3, Eclipse. Jen and Becky: I'm catching up!! :) Not bad for a three-day weekend, eh?
Categories: fun with friends, old married couple


You have caught me and now I have to catch up!!! Tonight tonight....
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun filled weekend! We need to take Justin to Bub's...I bet he can eat a Big Ugly...
I'm so glad you're liking my Christmas present! Yay!!!
ReplyDeletequick point of clarification the "Big Ugly" patty of beef is 22oz pre-cooked and one pound post cooked. can you tell its a point of pride?
ReplyDeleteThat burger is intense! Sounds like some fun weekends!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear what you think of all of the books? Eclipse was my fave. We can talk more after you have finished.